It’s that dreaded time of the year again. Exam season dun dun duuunnn.
A season where caffeine intake increases, we highlight everything to feel like we’ve read an essay properly and getting dressed isn’t really an option.
So, if you’re sat reading this in your PJ’s, on your 1000000 coffee of the day and attempting to not think about revision for 5 minutes I want to remind you how important looking after yourself is. We can all fall into the trap of just putting our heads down and working to exhaustion but the exam period is the perfect time to practise some self-care.
Here are 5 ways to practise self-care and get some real rest this exam season:
- Don’t work past 9. Ok, I get that everyone’s body clocks are different but allowing yourself an evening and really resting in the evening is great because it allows your brain time to wind down, meaning you’ll sleep better.
- Listen to podcasts. It’s great to give your brain a break from the subject you’re studying and focus on a completely different topic all together. Podcasts are great because they don’t require looking at a screen, meaning your eyes can get a well earned rest.
- Go for a walk in the morning. I love getting fresh air earlier on in the day. It means when I get home I’m awake, refreshed and ready to start working. Why not walk off the morning grogginess and go somewhere peaceful?
- FT a friend. It’s really easy to stop socialising altogether during exams. If you can take an evening off and see friends, do it! But if you cant afford to give up a whole evening of study time, why not schedule in a half an hour FT to a loved one? They’ll be able to encourage you and motivate you to keep studying.
- Healthy snacks. I have been known to get into bed with a packet of biscuits when I’ve been essay-writing, but unhealthy foods don’t sustain you. Why not invest in some dried fruits to snack on? Or make smoothies? Healthy snacks can be yummy I promise!
Good luck to all students over the next month or two, you’ve got this!!
How do you like to practise self-care when revising?